Subscribe to my full feed.

My in-laws are Bosnian, and have been living in Mexico for the past 15 years. They don't speak English, and no, I don't speak Bosnian or Spanish. For a long time, this meant infrequent conversations with translation provided by my wife or her brother.

More recently, Google Translate has been doing the heavy lifting for me. My in-laws write to me in Bosnian, I put it through the Croatian (very similar language) translator on Google translate, and it gets most of the meaning across.

I then compose in English, put it through Google Translate into Spanish (according to my wife, the Spanish translation is much more accurate, which makes sense), and send back. It can be tricky, but it gets the job done, and has done a great job and breaking the language barrier.

So I'm intrigued by recent speculation that GMail will offer one-click translation as part of its 5th anniversary celebration. Although it wouldn't translate better than than my current process, it would save me quite a bit of copy/paste time. Here's hoping!

0 comments:

Post a Comment